Translate

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly awaaaaay ...


I am now 5 days away from my departure and I am starting to feel a little bit nervous from time to time. I must say, there were a lot of things I needed AND STILL NEED to take care of before I leave...

First, to book a flight, it's a tricky thing because if you book too soon, you risk to miss an opportunity to book a flight last minute at a low price but when you wait too long, the chance of finding a relatively cheap flight decreases. It is the first time I am doing a long haul flight so I wanted to be sure that I had my ticket on time. I booked it in the first week of August and paid approximately EUR 950. I booked it online at fluege.de (a German website). 

I must say, the fact that it is a German one and that there was no possibility included to translate it, did not make it easy. So when I really did not understand the steps of the booking process I just copy-pasted the text into Google translate. I know a lot of people that are against Google translate. But seriously? For translations like that? It works pretty damn good and fast. ;)

EUR 950 is not that expensive for this distance but there are a few reasons that explain why it is cheap.. I have 2 stops on my way to Taiwan (one in Frankfurt and one in Hong Kong) and also 2 when I come back (one in Hong Kong and one in Munich). I fly 6 time economy class, 4 times with Lufthansa and 2 times with another airline (these are the two flights between Taipei and Hong Kong). The total travel time is 17 hours. At least, that is how I booked it. Unfortunately, I got an email a few weeks after my booking date to inform me that there were some flight changes in my schedule. What was the result? When I come back, I need to wait 10 hours in the Hong Kong airport instead of 1,5 hours what was pretty bad news. But you cannot do much about that. So I hope it now stays that way. 

I got some interesting information from a professor that I needed to check out the seat quality of my plane on the website seatguru.com. It is amazing. You can find all technical information of the specific plan in which you are going to fly. Good seats are green, bad seats are red. Basically it comes down to that. For more details check it out! 

I also downloaded the application TripCase on my BB so that I can check flight hour changes in my schedule at all times!

Another drawback besides the flight change is the fact that I can only take one piece of luggage with me of 23 kg + 8kg carry-on baggage...... 31kg for 2 months....................... ARE YOU KIDDIN ME? I think this will be one of the biggest challenges of my life. :) But still, I am so happy and excited that I will be singing this beautiful old song in my shower the day I will leave this little piece of the earth, called Belgium, behind.


Come fly with me, let's fly let's fly away.

Byebyeee.

No comments: